- Breaking News
- Published Date
- Jose Bosque
- Hits: 38016
NEWTOWN, Conn. -- A lone gunman shot and killed his mother, then drove to the school where she reportedly taught and went on a shooting rampage Friday morning, killing 26 people, including 20 children, before turning a gun on himself.
The shooter was identified as Adam Lanza, 20, who was found dead inside Sandy Hook Elementary School of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
We are all still in shock and affected by such a horrific and senseless act.
First, we pray for these families and ask the Lord to grant them peace during this time of hell, torment and grief. All of America mourns this tragic massacre of innocent lives. I want you to know before we go on that there will never be a valid answer for those who have lost their loved ones like this. There are no simple answers but we must process all this to be healed.
These kinds of incidents are practically non-existent outside of America and they continue to be on the rise here in the last twenty years. Is there something about our culture that is to blame for these horrific events? I think so.
I want to offer some possible answers as a starting place for prayer, discussion and action;
1. I agree with Mike Huckabee “we've systematically removed God (prayer) from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools have become a place for carnage?”
2. We have created a culture in the last twenty years that rejects any mention of absolutes such as right and wrong. “If it feels good do it”, “Live and let live”
3. We have rejected the godly moral values that were the backbone of this country. Everyone has the right to do, how and whatever they feel and express themselves accordingly. We celebrate the fact that we are so modern that we allow everyone to be their own ultimate authority.
4. We have rejected the existence of darkness, demons, devils and the demonic oppression they cause. We feel better just calling it evil. Well, where does evil come from and why is there this strange increased fascination with ghosts and the paranormal?
5. We have chosen to diagnose all extreme behavior as mental illness. We are told to live in this ever moving and ever changing culture headed for anarchy without the walls of morality and values. If you move too fast you have mental illness. Is all we have to do is wait a little bit for a rapidly degrading society to catch up with our perversion? Pills, Mental hospitals, and Psychologists exist to control abnormal behavior not to heal.
6. Our greedy consumer driven culture has demolished the family structure as we have chased the dollar or the promotion wherever the companies have relocated us. This disconnect has created an estrangement of children to the benefits of their extended family. Where is the Afro-American family headed without the blessings of the grandmother? Where are the Hispanic families going with the influence of the (Tios) uncles?
Had dinner last night with a teacher who has been teaching high school for 27 years and she confirmed to me these last two.
7. She says the kids literally live in a virtual world created by the rise of video games. She says most have no relational skills and will have real difficulties operating in society without their parents. These games such as World of Warcraft and others have stunted and anesthetized the natural fear of death, killing and shooting. The only difference she says is you can’t hit the BACK button or RESTART in real life.
8. Finally her greatest pet peeve with parents today is the continued enabling of inappropriate action. She says these kids run their homes and that the parents will buy them anything to feed their spoiled desires. Including guns I said, and she said “Yes, including guns!”
Because of the reasons outlined I do not expect these problems to go away and disappear because we get mad. Take away the guns and this will only get worse. Building more jails and mental hospitals is not the answer either. Our society and our culture are sick.
Most of our churches are nothing more than a weekly pep rally. Sermons on how to win, how to prosper, how to succeed abound because it’s what the people want to hear. Will someone please take a time out and look up at the scoreboard. We are losing America and it’s getting worse fast! Have we hit bottom? I think not!
If you are still reading this you obviously want to hear the answer to the title of this article. Where was God? Why didn’t He intervene? The question is a valid one but only God can answer it. Many when going through extreme suffering like this can only explain it by saying there is no God. Others say God has given man free will and He will not override it. Are we to believe that the Creator of the heavens and the earth has abdicated all His authority and placed His ultimate destiny for mankind in the hands of mere men? I think not!
Tell me my pea brain cannot begin to understand the dealings of the One who flung the stars (universes) in the sky and I can do better with that. Explain to me it’s time to have faith (the substance of things NOT seen) in His plans and purposes in spite of Sandy Hook.
There are many things we do not understand but we know this;
1. You next moment or your child’s next breath is promised to no one. Put away the cell phone and make quality time with your children and loved ones. Celebrate the gift of life and take it seriously!
2. Quit escaping in the deceitful desires, unfruitful distractions and the never ending cares of this world. Confront your issues and get help before it’s too late.
3. Finally, we need to realize there is no human help that can take us through to bring us to a different place. Without faith in God we are doomed to torment.
May the Lord bring clarity to our spirits during this time of reflection and may all this darkness during this Christmas season lead us to the ONE TRUE LIGHT!
Jose L Bosque